Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Heading to the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland

As I left the farm on Friday afternoon, I got the ever familiar sinking feeling in my stomach – an utterly clichéd expression that exactly expresses how you feel when fear suddenly washes over the sides of you. Besides that and one teary moment after reading some lovely words from my dear sister, I had no real dramatic change to my emotions as I left for Glasgow and a year of postgraduate discovery. Perhaps I have just cultivated a greater talent for repression, but I like to think that after traveling more, auditioning more, being more independent, my anxiety about these kinds of situations has naturally and maturely decreased.

At the airport, I met a completely different individual going through much the same transition as me. And by met, I obviously mean eavesdropped on and watched peripherally, because introductions and small talk are not my forte. He too was traveling abroad (to London) to go to graduate school (for computer science). He was the sort of person who looks much older than they should but seems much younger than their actual age. It seems painfully stereotypical, but he was short, dated and seriously balding with a slight lisp, glasses and a passion for computers. He was also, as far as I could tell, absolutely sweet and polite and radiating nervous energy, so much so that I started questioning whether or not I was at the right gate, what if I missed my flight, had I packed my wallet…

His mother was seated across from him, although she wasn’t traveling herself. They spent much of the time anxiously checking the boarding times, and texting or calling friends and family to say goodbye. The mother was quite sociable and upbeat, chatting with the man next to her and keeping her son’s spirits up, although at one point when he was rummaging in the bag on the seat next to her, she raised and tilted her cheek and requested a kiss, which he dutifully and lovingly bestowed – a small reassurance for both of them that everything would be all right.

As we got closer and closer to boarding, he proffered a joke about how this decision to move to London for graduate school was probably a terrible mistake. The joke was delivered in that watery, half-whispered way that people use when they’re actually completely serious. It was painful to hear this last desperate cry for help. You could tell that all he wanted in that moment was for his mother to say yes, yes it was and wrap him up in her arms and take him home to familiar, to comfort, to safe. She, of course, didn’t. She did exactly what she should, and told him she was proud of him and that this was a great brave thing for him to do. She continued to utter these words of support as we boarded. He was behind me in line, so I was privy to the increasing panic in his breath as we got closer and closer. As I handed over my ticket, I heard him burst into tears and could feel the heavy silence of his mother letting him go. The fact that I could no longer see him somehow made his emotions feel like mine, like how surround sound makes you feel like you’re in the movie. I hurried onto the plane; I couldn’t handle being near him anymore. I selfishly hoped that he wouldn’t be sitting next to me on the flight, knowing I couldn’t offer him the reassurance I knew he’d need from a girl going through much the same. What do I know about what risks are worth it, if we’ve made the right decision, if life really does sort itself out for the best? He ended up sitting far across the aisle from me, and when I accidentally caught his eye, he gave me a little nervous wave. A last confirmation – I got on this plane, like you, I’m here, and we’re all going somewhere.

I thought about him throughout the whole flight. In the months leading up to me leaving, I’ve had countless people commend me for what a risk I’m taking, how brave I am, how proud they are. And yes, it is a risk to move to Glasgow for a year, pursue something that is so difficult and exposing with people I’ve never met. And I’m also thankful that I’m well adjusted enough to be able, at twenty-four, to travel alone and start over without too much emotional turmoil or fear.  However, he is truly taking risk, is truly brave. When I saw him get into his seat, I was proud that he actually got on the plane.


So, he shall be my inspiration for this year. To put myself in situations where I go to the very precipitous edge of my comfort, not just halfway there. To take risks. Not things that are commonly understood as risks, but things I know are risks for me. Here’s to watery jokes, panicked breaths and going somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment