Monday, April 7, 2014

ACT, TISCH, Yale & Royal Conservatoire of Scotland Auditions (February 4, 2014)

In the Grad School Auditioning Week from Hell, this was the Grad School Auditioning Day From Hell. With four auditions in a row, I knew things would be bumpy. The day started off uneventfully enough with my audition for ACT at 10am. They were running slightly behind but the wait wasn't too long. You are auditioned by two people, Melissa Smith (the conservatory director) and Jeffrey Crockett (head of voice). I went in, introduced myself, did my two pieces and then was interviewed briefly (I believe the only question they asked was, what kind of theatre interests you? A broad question which I used to talk about the touring production of Prudencia Hart I saw last year, which has really stuck with me. Luckily, Melissa had also seen it!). They post their list for end of the day callbacks after the morning session and after the afternoon session, so I only had to wait until about 1pm to find out.

Next was my TISCH audition, right down the hall, at 11am. We had a short orientation session in the hallway after filling out some paperwork, and then got split into two groups for two different auditioners (we all know my feelings about that set up). I went in, did my two pieces, and then the woman who was auditioning me (too much of a blur to remember who she is...) asked me a few questions about my Shakespeare and then had me re-do the end of it. I walked out, waited until the end of the hour to hear the callback list, which I was not on.

LUNCH BREAK! In which I awkwardly ran into Jeffrey Crockett. Knowing that probably he was at lunch with Melissa deciding who from the morning session they wanted to call back for the end of the day. Luckily, as I found out after lunch, it was MEEEE! (And other people...) Unfortunately, their callback time was at 3pm, right smack dab in the middle of my Yale and RCS auditions. I had to wait around until I caught Jeffrey and asked him what I should do. He said just come after, as soon as I could, so I could jump in with the group. The thought of this kind of loosey goosey arrangement panicked me a bit.

The panic continued as my Yale audition was scheduled for 2pm, and yet they had not shown up! (Horrible weather was causing flight delays -- great timing, Mother Nature!). They had to completely reschedule their morning auditions, but luckily showed up a bit before 2pm and started setting up. Although, this still meant my audition was delayed, and my stomach churned faster and faster the farther behind they got, as I had my audition for RCS in a DIFFERENT HOTEL at 3:30pm. I finally got in and did my two monologues and was thanked and told to check the callback list at the end of the hour. I waited around until the last possible second, waiting for the end of the hour callbacks (which were actually going to be held at 8 or 9pm that night, thanks to all the rescheduling and delays) before I gave up and ran to a bus, trying to get to my next audition in time.

I showed up at my RCS audition, which was at The Westin, about ten minutes late, for which I apologized profusely. It all seemed very casual, however, so it was no big deal, although meant I didn't actually get in for my audition until around 4pm (thus complicating my ACT end of the day callback situation, but I just took a deep breath and tried to focus on being present at RCS). The audition took place in a HUGE room, in front of Mark Saunders, the head of the MA program. After chit chatting a bit about my resume, I did my two pieces and song, after which he stopped me. We worked both of them -- freeing up my movement in the Shakespeare piece, and then containing my emotion for my modern. It was a pretty solid workshop, and he really took the time to talk to me about my opinions and also gave me very solid, strong direction. Then, we sat down and he interviewed me (for quite a long time, I will say). He explained the program a bit while I asked more specific questions, as well as asking me why I chose the pieces I chose, why I want to go back to grad school, what I felt my weaknesses were...it was really the most rigorous interview that I had. But it felt really, really good. Yes, it is terrifying to have such an involved audition, but it is so wonderful to know that you're getting a good chance to show them what you can do. Your whole possible future at the school doesn't hang on ten minutes that are over before you know it.

So, I left RCS feeling proud and happy, feelings which mostly dissipated as I immediately freaked out about making it to the ACT end of day callback. After missing the bus, I decided upon a peculiar running/walking/hopping combination to get me back to the Hyatt Regency and, hopefully, to my end of day callback! I was there outrageously late, and sweaty. After sitting outside the closed room, I managed to talk to Jeffrey and Melissa. Yes, the callbacks were over. Should I come back tomorrow? No, that seems too complicated. So, instead, I had my end of the day callback alone with them. It involved a vocal/breath warmup with Jeffrey (one-on-one), and then a cold read of some dialogue from a play with Melissa (one-on-one). We ran through it a few times and also discussed what was going on in the scene. Then, I did a third piece for them (I chose one of my other Shakespeare pieces) and that was that.

I checked the Yale end of day callback list to see if I had made it through, and no such luck. I have to say, I was a little grateful that I wasn't going to have to stick around until 8pm to do a callback. I dragged my weary bones back to my home, where I promptly collapsed in front of the TV. Hell day, over.



No comments:

Post a Comment